Friday, July 23, 2010

Yummy In My Tummy: Zucchini Pie

I have oodles and oodles of zucchini.  This week alone, I have picked approximately 20 zucchini, all being on the large (slightly obese) size.  I ran into this problem last year.  I gave away dozens from my garden. Did I learn my lesson?  Nope, I think I even planted more this year than last.  In the past week and a half, I have made 5 large and 8 small loaves of zucchini bread, 2 zucchini pies, roasted zucchini for dinner, 11 pints of zucchini pickles and this doesn't include the 9 zucchini that I am taking home to give away to my family this weekend. 


Last year, I had a co-worker pass along this Zucchini Pie Recipe!  It is phenomenal if you like a good cream pie.  It is a mix between a sugar cream and pumpkin pie, if you can imagine that. 



This pie freezes extrememly well!  Just wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap, followed by a layer of foil, toss it in a plastic zip lock freezer bag, and throw it in the freezer. 

The blogosphere has been full of talk about weight loss and diets! Well YOU are in luck! This pie can be made with fat free evaporated milk, splenda, and without a crust for a low calorie treat.

First off, you need to cook your zucchini.  Follow these easy steps!

Start off with some peeled zucchini or bare-naked ladies as I like to call them!


Dice up the bare-naked ladies into large chunks.


Boil them in water until fork-tender.

Strain the zucchini.  I press the excess water out of the chunks with a paper towel.

Now for secondary ingredients. (Disclaimer: Only one egg was harmed in making this recipe.  It landed with a lovely splat as it hit the kitchen floor!)


Mix all the ingredients in a blender!  It is almost as fun as making margharitas (almost I said)!


Pour into a deep dish pie shell!


Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce to 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  Sprinkle with cinnamon!
 

Zucchini Pie

1 cup cooked zucchini
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 Tbs melted margarine
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour (heaping)
1 egg

Bon Appetite!

4 comments:

  1. I have never seen a recipe like this before. I am so glad I found your blog! I love unique recipes. I just signed up to follow you and I will be checking your blog often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barbara! I've been following you for a while, but I don't think I have commented. I will have to try your zucchini pie...I too have lots in the garden.

    I thought I would share my zucchini pie recipe as well. You can find it here http://drbergman.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-time-zucchini-pie.html (I was inspired to share after seeing your post:) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Do you deliver? ;-) Two more days of fair fun! Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this I have got to try. What a unique recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails